Monday 7 August 2017

Empowering women through literature

Lindiwe Mavimbela, Duduzile Sokhele, Xolile Ngcobo and Nthabiseng Manana at the Creative Writing Workshop in Duduza last Saturday.

Duduza – Last Saturday, Radical Arts Forum held a workshop with author Duduzile Sokhele to use literature to empower women.
The forum’s secretary, Bheki Radebe, says that their task is to revive theatre and literature.
“This is just one of the programmes we use to achieve our mission.”
Sokhele, a social worker by profession, was born and bred in Duduza.
“I started writing books in 2010 but I didn’t focus on women empowerment until 2013.”
In her latest offering, Within the Private Space of Black South African Women: The Open Secret, she explains how life as a black woman can be full of obstacles.
“It is how we come to terms with our differences and how we overcome our challenges together that makes us strong.”
Sokhele believes that the public library is one of the best resources in the community.
“I am disappointed in the state of this place because I used to study here.
“That is why I will use every avenue available to me, to make this library function to its full capacity.”
She says that people need to realise that the library is not just for children.
“My passion is to get women to read.”
Sokhele explains that she aims to dispel the notion: ‘If you want to hide something from a black person, put it in a book.’
Thirty-five-year-old teacher Xolile Ngcobo came to the workshop after she saw the invite on social media.
“Until now, I did not know that all of us have the potential to be writers.
“Her demonstrations proved to me that we all have a story to tell.”
Ngcobo says the workshop left her inspired enough to start writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment